Filing of income tax return online is free and easy. The Income Tax Department had already run the e-filing website for filing the income tax return online. This takes around 5-10 mintues to fill the all details and submit the form if your Form 16 is ready.
One can file the income tax return or ITR online in below 8 easy steps -
1. Visit the Income Tax India e-filling Website.
2. Click on “Quick e-File ITR-1” button available on the left-middle side of this page.
3. Enter your user ID and Password for login to this website.
Note: - If you forgot the password then click on “Forgot Password” link to recover your password or “Register Now” link if you are new to this website.
4. Select the ITR Form Name like- ITR-1.
Select the options like - assessment year (2013-14), Prefill Address and “Do you want to digitally sign ?” Option according to your choice.
Now, click on “Submit” button.
5. The next page will be displayed that contains 6 tabs – Instructions, Personal Information , Income Details , TDS , Tax Paid and Verification and 80 G.
Read the instructions carefully and navigate to the other tabs.
Personal Information Tab
Update your Personal Information like- Address, DOB, Pan Number, Tax Status etc.
Note : - For refund filed under section, You should use 139 (1) if you are filing within 31st July (use 11 and thereafter 12).
Income Details Tab
Fill the details like – Income from Salary and Other sources by referring your Form 16. You can also fill your investment details here.
Fill your Employer TAN Number , Name , Income under the head salary (from Form 16) and Total Tax deducted (either from Tax receipt or from Form 12BA).
Tax Paid And Verification Tab
Enter your Bank Account Number , Bank Branch IFSC code and other personal details
Enter the details of the donation under 80G if you had donated some amount.
Note:- Use “Save Draft” button to immediately save the changes to overcome from any connection issue. For going to different tabs either click on respective tabs or use the navigate buttons available at the bottom-right corner.
6. Review the entered details on every tab, If all are OK then click on “Submit” button to submit the ITR details.
Now you will get the message - Your return has been uploaded successfully but it is pending for verification as per the Income Tax Act.
7. Click on the option to e-Verify your return.
Select Option 2 - I do not have an EVC and I would like to generate EVC to e-Verify my return to e-verify
8. Select appropriate option for EVC.
Like- EVC - through Net Banking
9. Now, You will see the steps to e-verify the returns using Internet Banking.
Read the mentioned steps and click on Continue to proceed.
10. List of banks will be displayed for e-Verify.
Click on your bank to proceed, You will be redirected to your bank website.. Provide the login info to proceed.
11. Now, click on Income Tax E-Filing link available in you bank login.
Like- In Hdfc Bank you can found this link at below location
Accounts - Request - Income Tax E-Filing
12. Select respective options (Like- PAN details linked with your bank)
click Continue & Then Confirm button. Now, you will be redirected to Income tax department website.
13. Go to the e-File menu - E-Verify Return
14. Click on the link e-Verify against the return that has been uploaded.
15. Your return will be e-Verified and process will be completed.
You can download the return (available in pdf format). Provide PAN number with youd date of birth (DDMMYYYY) to open this pdf.
Same will be sent to your registered email id.
Note:- Now, There is no need to send hard copy to CPC Bangalore. All process completed online itself.
Your return has been successfully uploaded and transaction ID is xxxxxxxxxx.
An e-mail confirmation with ITR-V and Acknowledgment number also will be send to your provided email address.
Now, You need to send this ITR-V signed copy to the Income Tax Department by ordinary post or Speed Post within 120 days to the below address –
Income Tax Department – CPC,
Post Bag No. – 1,
Electronic City Post Office,
Bangalore – 560100
On receipt of this ITR-V, Income Tax Department will sent your return for the processing.
Take the printout of the received pdf file and sign on it and send to the Address mentioned over there within the 120 days.
Note: - This PDF file is password protected, enter your PAN card in small letter and your DOB in dd/mm/yyyy format to open this pdf file.